This recipe was taken from Cooking the Hungarian Way by Magdolna Hargittai, page 48.
or Paprika Chicken
Serve paprika chicken with small dumplings or with noodles.
One 2 1/2-3 lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large Onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Paprika
3/4 c. Water
1 1/2 c. Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. Flour
1 Green Pepper, cored and cut into rings
1. Wash chicken pieces in cool water and pat dry with paper towel.
2. In a kettle or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add chicken pieces to Dutch oven and cook, turning often, until lightly browned on all sides.
3. Sprinkle salt and paprika on chicken and add 1/2 c. water. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
5. In a small bowl, combine 1 c. of the sour cream, flour, and 1/4 c. water, and stir well. Pour mixture over chicken and stir. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.
6. Place chicken in a deep serving dish. Spoon sour cream from pan over chicken. Garnish with green pepper rings and remaining sour cream.